Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Ideal Friend

THE ideal friend for anyone and everyone is only Jesus Christ. No one else can match His faithfulness and love. He is the friend of sinners. He comforts me when I am distressed. He provides for me when I have a need. He talks with me whenever I feel like talking. He rescues me from my sin and from myself. He lets me struggle so that I can grow. He lets me know when I am wrong. He goes everywhere with me. He never forgets me. He loves me beyond what I could ever imagine. He never leaves me. He’s my friend.

When I look for a friend, I look for someone who is a friend of my friend, Jesus. If they love God, then it is not as important that they love me. I would rather have them love God than to love me. I am definitely not first place in importance, and I shouldn’t be. In fact, it’s probably a good idea if I don’t get noticed as much as I want to. I hate to write that, because I have a  desire for attention & recognition. When I am noticed it makes me happy in a  shallow sort of way. Instead of reacting in a right way and tossing all the praise up to God, I hold on to it myself. I tuck away the compliments for further glorification of myself. I should eagerly throw them up to God for His control, giving myself no chance for developing a high opinion of myself, and giving the world the chance to develop a high opinion of my Great God who created me and my talents. I want Him to have all the glory, but I still try to share in His spotlight. No! It is the glory of God alone in me!
Maybe this is why I don’t like compliments. I don’t feel that I deserve them. Sure, there may be something there deserving of praise, but I don’t deserve it. Give the praise and glory to God! He alone deserves all glory and praise! My friend should give glory to God for everything in my life. When I look for a friend, I look for someone who is so close to God that I can’t help but draw closer to Him just by spending time with them.

My ideal friend loves God more than they love me, seeks hard after God, talks about God, and urges me to draw nearer to God.

No comments: